If you’re looking for high-quality, durable tape to use for powder coating, you need high temperature masking tape. This type of tape specifically designed to withstand the high temperatures associated with this process will guarantee you a flawless result every time.
In this article, we’ll look at the most common high temperature masking tapes used for powder coating to help you choose the right one for your application. But first, let’s quickly explain what powder coating is, which industries use it and what the application process is.
What is Powder Coating
Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a dry powder. The powder is typically made up of a resin and a pigment, and it is applied to a surface using an electrostatic charge. Once the powder is applied, it is cured under high heat to create a smooth, durable finish.
Industries That Use Powder Coating
Powder coating creates a high-quality finish that is resistant to wear and tear, corrosion, and UV damage. It is commonly used in a variety of industries, including automotive, architectural, and appliance manufacturing.
- Automotive – Powder coating is used on automotive parts and accessories.
- Architecture – Powder coating is used in building products like windows, doors, and steel structures.
- Appliance manufacturing – Powder coating is used to create a durable finish on appliances such as refrigerators, washers, and dryers.
Image source: Trissi1234 on Wikicommon
The Three Stages of Powder Coating
There are three main stages to the powder coating process: surface preparation, powder application, and curing.
- Surface preparation: Surface preparation is critical to the success of the coating process. The surface must be cleaned and free of any contaminants before powder coating can begin. This can be done with a variety of methods, such as sandblasting, degreasing, and power washing.
- Powder application: The powder is applied to the surface using an electrostatic charge. This causes the powder to adhere to the surface, creating an even coating.
- Curing: The powder is cured under high heat to create a smooth, durable finish. This usually takes place in an oven, and the curing time will vary depending on the type of powder used.
How to Choose the Right Masking Tape for Powder Coating?
Masking tapes are part of the large family of pressure sensitive tapes. There is a wide variety of masking tapes on the market. Knowing the types of masking tapes most appropriate for powder coating will help you select the right one for your application.
Can You Use Regular Masking Tape for Powder Coating Applications?
Many people are wondering if you can use regular masking for powder coating. The simple answer is no. High temperatures during the powder coating process will cause regular masking tape to fail, resulting in an improper finish. Using high temperature masking tape for powder coating is the way to go. It will help you achieve a consistent finish and prevent powder from building up in unwanted areas.
Features to Look for in High Temperature Masking Tape for Powder Coating
High temperature masking tapes are reliable. They will not shrink, curl or lift during the baking process with temperatures as high as 500°F (260°C). They help produce very thin, sharp paint line edges. When choosing a tape for powder coating, there are a few important features to keep in mind:
- Thickness – High temperature tapes are available in various thicknesses. The thickness of the coating to be applied and the surface it will be applied on will determine the tape to be used.
- Temperature range – Make sure to choose a high temperature masking tape that can withstand the temperatures of your powder coating process. The commonly used tape will withstand temperatures up to 400°F (204°C) while more specialized ones can handle temperatures up to 500°F(260°C).
- Recommended usage – Do you need a tape that is resistant to corrosive chemicals or has excellent mechanical and electrical properties? Some tapes are better suited for certain tasks than others. Read the product description to make sure the tape you choose is appropriate for your needs.
Types of High Temperature Masking Tape for Powder Coating
There is a variety of masking tapes for powder coating applications. They include:
High Temperature Polyester Masking Tapes
This is a durable masking tape that can be used on surfaces that require a high level of heat resistance. There are two types of polyester masking tapes used for powder coating: green and blue.
- Green tape: green polyester tape is the industry standard and the most used. It has a polyester backing and a silicone adhesive. It offers residue-free removal and excellent thermal and chemical resistance. It works in temperatures ranging from -100°F to 400°F (-73°C to 204°C) and is best used on flat surfaces.
- Blue tape: blue polyester tape is thinner than its green counterpart, therefore ideal for curved or uneven surfaces. Made of a polyester backing with a silicone adhesive, blue masking tape can withstand temperatures up to 400°F (204°C). It offers excellent thermal and chemical resistance while maintaining flexibility.
High Temperature Polyimide Masking Tapes
Part of the family of silicone pressure sensitive adhesive tapes, Polyimide tapes are made of a polyimide backing and silicone adhesive. This tape is amber in color and can withstand temperatures up to 500°F (260°C), making it suitable for even higher temperature powder coating processes with extended cure times.
Polyimide tapes seal tight on contact and peel off clean. They offer excellent thermal, puncture, chemical and abrasion resistance. They are used for masking parts for powder coating, masking edges of overlap seams and as a Barrier of separation for dissimilar metals
High Temperature Glass Cloth Masking Tapes
Glass cloth masking tapes are made of fiberglass cloth backing with a silicone adhesive. Thicker, they are perfect for applications that require thick coatings and extended high temperature cure cycles. Glass cloth tapes can withstand temperatures up to 500°F (260°C) and are best suited for flat surfaces.
Making the Right Choice Leads to Perfect Results
Using high-quality, high temperature masking tape for powder coating is essential for ensuring a smooth, durable and precise finish. Make sure you understand the conditions of your powder coating application before selecting your masking tape. What type of surface should be covered, flat or curved, smooth or uneven? What is the maximum curing temperature? What is the thickness of the powder coating to be applied? Etc. With the right tape, you can achieve a professional-looking result that will last for years to come.
MPI Matco is a well-known supplier and manufacturer of custom adhesive tapes in Canada and North America. We help many industries improve their manufacturing process by providing them with adhesive solutions such as die-cut adhesive tapes and custom printed tapes. If you have a specific need, contact us, our experts will be happy to meet your challenge.