Gaffer tape is a cotton cloth pressure-sensitive tape (PSA tape) with excellent adhesive properties. This tape is used in the entertainment industry to support the lighting team, fix props & equipment, and secure the camera and mark spots.
Gaffer tape has a lot of benefits such as not reflecting light. Read on to understand the benefits of using gaffer tape.
How Is Gaffer Tape Used in the Entertainment Industry
- Supporting the lighting team: Apply gaffer tape to direct, bend and shape lights.
- Fixing last-minute problems: Secure microphones to the artist, temporarily repair props, seal equipment, write removable notes on surfaces.
- Securing the camera: Fix a camera to a specific surface, label accessories or cover up the camera logo in case you don’t want to promote a certain brand. Gaffer camera wing to absorb excessive impact in the event of drops and bumps.
- Marking spots, such as: Where an artist should stand. Where you need to put your tripod if you want to use the exact same perspective again. Where props should be set.
Features and Benefits of Gaffer Tape
- Easy to remove
- No sticky residue
- Different sizes and colors
- Excellent adhesive bond
- Maintains original colours
- Indoor and exterior use
- Does not reflect light
How is Gaffer Tape Used in Live Shows?
- Assisting the sound crew: Patch holes in loudspeakers, prevent drums from ringing and hold cable connections together.
- Securing the stage: Attach set list, cover cracks in the floor, repair curtains and define the stage limits.
- Supporting the sound engineers: Label the soundboard and write removable notes on it.
- Hiding wires: Secure cables to stage floors, podiums, and other surfaces for safety or concealment.
If you have any questions, please contact us.